Fort Leavenworth takes great pride that we are the home of the Buffalo Soldiers. The park consists of the Buffalo Soldier Monument, Circle of Firsts and Walkway of Units which commemorate the significant contributions in the history of African-American Soldiers and units in the U.S. Army.
In 1866, the U.S. Congress authorized the formation of several black regiments. One of these, the 10th Cavalry Regiment, was formed at Fort Leavenworth under the command of Col. Benjamin H. Grierson.
On July 25, 1992, the Buffalo Soldier Monument was dedicated by General Colin L. Powell, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was the first African-American to serve in that capacity.
Buffalo Soldier Sculpture by Eddie Dixon.
The park is located north of the corner of Grant and Stimson Avenues.